Welcome to Northern California Hiking Trails!
I’m John Soares, a long-time writer of hiking guidebooks published by Mountaineers Books. Click the pics below to get details about each of my books — and visit my blog for hundreds of articles about hiking trails and other hiking info.
John’s Recent Articles
- Trail Gulch and Long Gulch Lakes Loop: 2022 Hike Report After the 2021 River Complex Fireby John SoaresI hiked the Trail Gulch Lake/Long Gulch Lake loop on July 8, 2022. Here’s my report of trail conditions, lake conditions, and how the two drainages and other nearby Trinity […]
- Download This PDF Gear Checklist for Boondocking, Dispersed Camping, and Campgroundsby John SoaresHere’s the complete list of gear you need for whenever and wherever you head out to do boondocking/dispersed camping. The list is also perfect for your campground adventures. Click Here […]
- Hike Beautiful Burney Falls Trails in 2022by John SoaresBurney Falls is one of America’s most stunning waterfalls. This article has everything you need to make the most out of your visit: details of hiking trails with a trail […]
- Hedge Creek Falls Trail: Easy Hike Beside I-5by John SoaresThe Hedge Creek Falls Trail is easy and convenient: just pop off I-5 in Dunsmuir and quickly descend to the sweet little waterfall. You’ll also get views of Mount Shasta […]
- Hike the High California Mountains Early in 2022 — Before Summer Wildfires and Smokeby John SoaresMaking your 2022 summer plans for backpacking and day hiking in California? I urge you to go earlier rather than later. Why? Two main reasons…
- New Day-Hiking and Walking Notebooks/Journals: Capture All the Details and Memoriesby John SoaresDo you love day hiking? Ever wish you had a cool notebook/journal so you could record all the important details of your day hikes, along with nature observations, your most […]
- 2022 Dispersed Camping/Boondocking Changes: Updates to my Camp for Free Bookby John Soares2022 will continue to see more rule changes for and restrictions on dispersed camping/boondocking in the United States. These changes and restrictions accelerated in 2020 and 2021 as more and […]
- 2022 Free Entrance Days at Northern California National Parks and Monumentsby John SoaresThere are six free-entrance days in 2022 for national parks and national monuments in Northern California. Hike your favorite trails, picnic, explore, and enjoy nature with your friends and family. […]
- Give the Gift of Hiking and Camping Books This Year!by John SoaresLooking for the perfect inexpensive gift for the outdoorsy people on your list, or the people you want to encourage to be outdoorsy? Then I humbly suggest buying your friends […]
- Hiking to Enderts Beach Via the Coastal Trail: One of the Top North Coast Hikes!by John SoaresThe hike to Enderts Beach on the Coastal Trail packs a lot of beauty into its short length: sweeping vistas of ocean and cliff; lush, green forests; the canyon of […]
- Myrtle Beach: Superb Smith River Swimming Holeby John SoaresHere are all the details on Myrtle Beach, a primo swimming hole on the Smith River just outside Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park.
- National Forest Closures in Northern California Due to Wildfire Dangerby John SoaresNEWER UPDATE: Most California national forests will reopen on September 16, 2021. Areas impacted by wildfires will still be closed, so check with the specific national forest ranger district before […]