Welcome to Northern California Hiking Trails!
I’m John Soares, a long-time writer of hiking guidebooks published by Mountaineers Books. Click the pics below to get details about each of my books — and visit my blog for hundreds of articles about hiking trails and other hiking info.
John’s Recent Articles
- Dispersed Camping versus Boondocking: How They Differ…by John SoaresWhat exactly is dispersed camping? What exactly is boondocking? How are they similar and how are they different? Well, I’m the author of Camp for Free: Dispersed Camping & Boondocking … Read more
- 10 Night Sky Observation Tips for Backpackers and Boondockersby John SoaresObserving the stars and planets in the night sky when backpacking and boondocking is one of life’s great pleasures. Here are 10 tips to help you make the most of … Read more
- Pebble Beach Drive, Crescent City: Beach Walks, Ocean Vistas!by John SoaresCrescent City’s Pebble Beach Drive takes you along spectacular coastline with beach walking/hiking opportunities and beautiful vistas of rocky islands in the Pacific Ocean. Read on to find out how … Read more
- Can Dogs Help You Get Unlost When Hiking?by John SoaresIf you get lost hiking, can your dog help you get unlost? Maybe! Depends on the dog, depends on the situation. Here are two contrasting stories of me getting lost … Read more
- 2023 Dispersed Camping/Boondocking Changes: Updates to my Camp for Free Bookby John Soares2023 will continue to see more rule changes for and restrictions on dispersed camping/boondocking in the United States. These changes and restrictions accelerated since 2020 as more and more people … Read more
- 2023 Free Entrance Days at Northern California National Parks and Monumentsby John SoaresThere are five free-entrance days in 2023 for national parks and national monuments in Northern California. Hike your favorite trails, picnic, explore, and enjoy nature with your friends and family. … Read more
- Give the Gift of Hiking and Camping Books This Year!by John SoaresLooking for the perfect gift for the outdoorsy people on your list, or the people you want to encourage to be outdoorsy? Then I humbly suggest buying your friends and … Read more
- Crystal Creek Falls Trail: Easy Whiskeytown Hike!by John SoaresThe walk/hike to beautiful Crystal Creek Falls is one of my favorites in Whiskeytown National Recreation Area. The easy trail to the waterfall is flat, wide, paved, and short, and … Read more
- Trail Gulch and Long Gulch Lakes Loop: 2022 Hike Report After the 2021 River Complex Fireby John SoaresI hiked the Trail Gulch Lake/Long Gulch Lake loop on July 8, 2022. Here’s my report of trail conditions, lake conditions, and how the two drainages and other nearby Trinity … Read more
- Download This PDF Gear Checklist for Boondocking, Dispersed Camping, and Campgroundsby John SoaresHere’s the complete list of gear you need for whenever and wherever you head out to do boondocking/dispersed camping. The list is also perfect for your campground adventures. Click Here … Read more
- Hike Beautiful Burney Falls Trails in 2023by John SoaresBurney Falls is one of America’s most stunning waterfalls. This article has everything you need to make the most out of your visit: details of hiking trails with a trail … Read more
- Hedge Creek Falls Trail: Easy Hike Beside I-5by John SoaresThe Hedge Creek Falls Trail is easy and convenient: just pop off I-5 in Dunsmuir and quickly descend to the sweet little waterfall. You’ll also get views of Mount Shasta … Read more