Video of Crater Lake from Garfield Peak

by John Soares on August 29, 2012

Garfield Peak in Crater Lake National Park offers great views of the lake and also other landmarks, including Mount Thielsen.

Stephanie and I spent two days in the area last week. We camped in the park the first night and outside the park on BLM land the second night.

Stunning area! More pics and vids coming soon, including our hikes along the Rogue River and the North Umpqua River.

Like this post? Then please help me out and share it on Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn, Facebook, and elsewhere -- and click that Google +1 button. And don't miss any Northern California Hiking Trails posts: subscribe by e-mail or subscribe by RSS.

Gambolin' Man August 29, 2012 at 7:20 am

Very nice, John! It’s been about 25 years since my last visit to Crater Lake, and your video is an inspiration to return SOON!

John Soares August 29, 2012 at 8:05 am

Twitter: @TheJohnSoares

There’s something about that lake — I just love it.

We hiked the trail down to the surface and I went for a swim.

dave August 29, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Just curious, why did you camp on BLM land instead of staying where you were and how far away was it?

John Soares August 29, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Twitter: @TheJohnSoares

I don’t like camping in organized campgrounds and typically only do so when there is no other option. I prefer peace and quiet!

Typically, people are allowed to camp on BLM and Forest Service land as long as there are no postings prohibiting it.

We went down a dirt road in the vicinity of Diamond Lake.

Adventure Strong April 9, 2013 at 12:06 am

Twitter: @adventurestrong

Crater Lake is so beautiful. I’m planning on heading down there this year. Like you, I like to avoid campgrounds. I prefer the solitude of the forest.

Doris Brown July 29, 2013 at 8:38 pm

I was wondering if you know of any hiking groups in the northern California area. I live in Yuba City and have lost my hiking partner. She has a family situation and is caring for her mom. I miss the mountains but don’t feel safe hiking alone. It may be due to the fact that I work in a jail. I like spending the night in the backcountry as well as day hikes. I would appreciate any information or contacts you may know about.
I can be reached at np1brown@comcast.net
Thanks so much
Doris

John Soares July 31, 2013 at 7:41 am

Twitter: @TheJohnSoares

Just sent you an e-mail Doris.

diaviosi October 19, 2013 at 3:23 pm

So beautiful.

Hope soon make videos like that, from Greece

Greek camping blog